Tuesday 9.30pm SBS ONE
Wednesday 2.00pm SBS ONE (repeat)

E-Waste Hell

Comments (60)

02 Oct 2011 22:57 AEST

Chris

From: Victoria

Ghana e Waste

What an absolute baboon that Senator Farell was while being questioned about this issue. I am more convinced than ever now that you don't need a brain to be in politics after listening to him and how ironic is it that we are going to be introduced to a carbon tax here to help the environment (so they say) and yet on the other hand polluting other countries with our waste- same on you Australia

Agree (13 people agree)
Disagree (1 people disagree)

29 Sep 2011 16:47 AEST

Nancye G

From: Sydney

Ghana

Excellent story- most informative.

Agree (15 people agree)
Disagree (1 people disagree)

29 Sep 2011 09:19 AEST

Daniel

From: Grozzy

Heavy!

Crazy to think that money rules the world . What is happening to all the wonderful enriching glory of Africa the landscape flora and people, such a shame that Australia jumped on the band wagon. The sin of modern technology every new inovation and model the excitment and thrill it brings today turned into destruction and devestation tomorrow. After watching this blurb I think I just may try to make my TV and Computer last as Long as I do, if at all possibly and then read a book instead.

Agree (9 people agree)
Disagree (2 people disagree)

29 Sep 2011 09:18 AEST

Steve

From: Sydney

Responsible E recycling

As a person involved in 1 of the largest waste and recycling businesses in Australia i have personally done business with major corporations in Australia who when quoted the price to do recycling correctly have specifically said to me that it is too expensive and they have found a cheaper way to "get rid" of their waste. I can name companies that are in financial, FMCG, and other industries that have all done this with no remorse whatsoever. 5 years ago the NSW govt touted a Elevy ??

Agree (3 people agree)
Disagree (1 people disagree)

29 Sep 2011 09:18 AEST

Steve Mellings

From: London

Great Story

I'd like to congratulate the makers of this program for going where last year's BBC Panorama programme didn't and highlighting the data risks within the illegal e-waste trade as well as the environmental disaster. This program proves the global endemic problems associated within asset disposal. Whilst I agree that more should be done at governmental level I also believe that the original asset owner is best placed to make a positive contribution to this by choosing the right partners to use.

Agree (4 people agree)
Disagree (1 people disagree)

28 Sep 2011 17:26 AEST

George Dowle

From: Sydney

Don't just get upset - write to the Environment Department.

New legislation came into effect on 8th August 2011, called the Product Steardship Act 2011. One of the first areas to be targetted for regulation under the new Act is used computers and televisions. The federal Department of the Environment is now taking submissions on the implementation of the regulations for control of computers and televisions, so I urge readers of this blog to write to the department. Here is the URL: http://www.environment.gov.au/settlements/waste/ewaste/index.html

Agree (9 people agree)
Disagree (1 people disagree)

28 Sep 2011 13:29 AEST

Jacquie

From: Coffs Harnour

E-Waste Hell

I was outraged when watching this program on Dateline last Sunday evening and since then have been thinking about what I can do as an individual to impact the problem. Our consumerism and disposable society has created a problem and, as a responsible citizen of Australia and inhabitant of this planet, it seems to me that the pollution and waste we create in the so-called First World should not be dumped on the Third World: we should handle it ourselves in a responsible manner.

Agree (13 people agree)
Disagree (3 people disagree)

28 Sep 2011 12:16 AEST

Maame Afiriyie

From: Sydeny

Ghana E-waste

its makes me cry when, i watched the DOC being any Ghana-Australian. this breaks my heart. you know wants funny, i once knew people that where exporting this e waste to there own country ghana.

Agree (4 people agree)
Disagree (2 people disagree)