Here’s the recipe for Edna Toledo’s banana skin cake, as seen in Giovana’s report...
- 4 to 6 banana skins (orange skins or other fruit peels can also be used)
- Granulated sugar
- Self-raising flour
- Cut off the ends of the skin.
- Leave the skins soaked in water, changing the water every day, until they become soft and water is clear.
- Cut them into pieces and put them in the blender with enough water to help the blender cut them up.
- Strain the mixture to get rid of any hard bits, but retain the puree and the liquid.
- Measure the amount of puree mixture in a glass and for every glassful, add one egg, nearly a whole glass of sugar, one teaspoon of salt and half a glass of oil.
- Beat until fluffy.
- Add one glass of flour and one tablespoon of yeast, per glassful of puree, and mix.
- Grease a baking sheet, sprinkle with flour, then arrange the mixture and bake in a moderate oven (180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4) for 40 minutes or until it looks ready.
- Use the liquid part to make a jam topping... measure the amount in a glass, then for every glassful, add half a glass of sugar into a pan with the liquid. Add cinnamon and a pinch of salt and heat. Stir to avoid sticking until thickened enough to spread on the cake.
A viewer has made the recipe and taken photos - click here to read her tips for making it from her website.