WIN* one of 10 Food Safari cookbooks
Featured Food & Recipes
- Andhra curry leaf chicken
- Fish head curry (gulai kepala ikan)
- Roast capsicum sauce (salsa de pimiento)
- Spiced pork skewers (pintxos morunos)
- Linzer torte
- Cauliflower and cavolo nero rice pie
- Indian chicken korma
- Lemon meringue tart with blueberry jelly
- Warm salad of rare roasted venison with celeriac, pear and red cabbage
- Best end of lamb with eggplant caviar and a fricassee of sweetbreads, chorizo and anchovy
Seasoning cast iron
Seasoning a new cast iron frying pan will help to keep it in good condition and help to avoid odours and flavours sticking to the pan. Coat the inside of the pan in oil and place in a hot oven for 30 - 60 minutes. Allow it to cool before wiping it clean.
Eschallot are comprised of a cluster of golden papery-skinned bulbs, eschallots have a more delicate and sweeter flavour than their onion relation and are one of the many examples of the French influence in Mauritian cuisine.