Blue gray in colour and slightly nutty in flavour, poppy seeds are sprinkled over pasta and used extensively in Hungarian baking - in strudels, tortes and the festive beigli.
Featured Food & Recipes
- Andhra curry leaf chicken
- Fish head curry (gulai kepala ikan)
- Roast capsicum sauce (salsa de pimiento)
- Spiced pork skewers (pintxos morunos)
- Linzer torte
- Cauliflower and cavolo nero rice pie
- Indian chicken korma
- Lemon meringue tart with blueberry jelly
- Warm salad of rare roasted venison with celeriac, pear and red cabbage
- Best end of lamb with eggplant caviar and a fricassee of sweetbreads, chorizo and anchovy
The hotness of the thousands of varieties of chillies is determined by the amount of capsaicin present in the fleshy material attached to the seeds. If you want to lessen the intensity of the chilli, remove the seeds and membranes, making sure not to touch them with your fingers. Generally speaking, the smaller the chilli, the hotter it is.
Fish herb (Diep Ca & Cang Cua) is considered by some as an acquired taste as it has a definite fishy smell and flavour. Often used in soups.