The bud of a large plant from the thistle family with tough, petal-shaped leaves. Boil the vegetable to serve as a first course. Dip each leaf into melted butter, mayonnaise or a vinaigrette and scrape of the soft fleshy base with your teeth.
Featured Food & Recipes
- Andhra curry leaf chicken
- Fish head curry (gulai kepala ikan)
- Roast capsicum sauce (salsa de pimiento)
- Spiced pork skewers (pintxos morunos)
- Linzer torte
- Cauliflower and cavolo nero rice pie
- Indian chicken korma
- Lemon meringue tart with blueberry jelly
- Warm salad of rare roasted venison with celeriac, pear and red cabbage
- Best end of lamb with eggplant caviar and a fricassee of sweetbreads, chorizo and anchovy
Manioc meal is used to make farofa, a seasoning that is made with toasted manioc meal and may contain extra ingredients such as olives, nuts or raisins. If you cannot find manioc meal you can substitute tapioca starch - although be aware it is more refined than manioc flour.
Ground corn meal, a staple in South and Central American cuisines and used to make tortillas, pastries and fillings for snacks like tamales and pupusas.