The dark red oil of the oil palm. Commonly used in African and Brazilian cooking.
Featured Food & Recipes
- Andhra curry leaf chicken
- Fish head curry (gulai kepala ikan)
- Roast capsicum sauce (salsa de pimiento)
- Spiced pork skewers (pintxos morunos)
- Linzer torte
- Cauliflower and cavolo nero rice pie
- Indian chicken korma
- Lemon meringue tart with blueberry jelly
- Warm salad of rare roasted venison with celeriac, pear and red cabbage
- Best end of lamb with eggplant caviar and a fricassee of sweetbreads, chorizo and anchovy
Salting an eggplant
Salting an eggplant is only necessary if the eggplant is over-mature and is to be fried (salting the eggplant stops it absorbing too much oil). If this is the case sprinkle the eggplant with salt and leave to drain in a colander for 20 minutes. Rinse quickly to remove salt before cooking.
An Arabic gum with a hard, crystalline texture. Usually ground before adding to a recipe.