Literally "little stomach" this is a cured pork product made from pork belly. It can be found semi-cured and sold finely sliced like ham or as a fully cured slab, looking a little like bacon.
Featured Food & Recipes
- Andhra curry leaf chicken
- Fish head curry (gulai kepala ikan)
- Roast capsicum sauce (salsa de pimiento)
- Spiced pork skewers (pintxos morunos)
- Linzer torte
- Cauliflower and cavolo nero rice pie
- Indian chicken korma
- Lemon meringue tart with blueberry jelly
- Warm salad of rare roasted venison with celeriac, pear and red cabbage
- Best end of lamb with eggplant caviar and a fricassee of sweetbreads, chorizo and anchovy
Use dried spices quickly and discard after a few weeks. Chef Peter Kuruvita says you can't make a good curry with ancient spices and believes many Australians have dried spices older than their children!
A sweet Polish yeast bread that commonly has almond and raisins. Other recent variations feature chocolate and cinnamon.