Chicken yassa recipe
- Cuisine: African
This advertisement is directed at adults. James Squire encourages the responsible consumption of alcohol.
1 tbsp coarsely ground fresh black pepper
6 green chillies, chopped
1 cup lemon juice
3 cloves of garlic
2 large onions sliced
1 tsp chilli flakes
100ml vegetable oil
12 bamboo skewers, soaked in water
Place all the ingredients in a large non-reactive bowl, except the oil, with the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to marinate, preferably overnight.
The next day, remove from fridge and skewer each strip onto the bamboo skewers.
Remove the chicken pieces, wipe dry, and thread onto the skewers. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Remove the onions from the marinade and add them to the pot. Sauté for 8-10 minutes or until soft and brown. Add the remaining marinade and reduced by half.
Lightly brush the skewers with oil and grill over charcoal, if possible.
Serve with the marinade as a dipping sauce.
Beer match The Chancer Golden Ale.
Featured Food & Recipes
- Andhra curry leaf chicken
- Fish head curry (gulai kepala ikan)
- Roast capsicum sauce (salsa de pimiento)
- Spiced pork skewers (pintxos morunos)
- Linzer torte
- Cauliflower and cavolo nero rice pie
- Indian chicken korma
- Lemon meringue tart with blueberry jelly
- Warm salad of rare roasted venison with celeriac, pear and red cabbage
- Best end of lamb with eggplant caviar and a fricassee of sweetbreads, chorizo and anchovy
When caramelising sliced onions, add salt to stop the onions from burning and aid the caramelising process.
The Italian name for "Sponge finger" biscuits. Used in Italian cooking for desserts.