Marinated anchovies recipe (gavros marinatos)
- Cuisine: Greek
- Prep Time: 10 min(s)
Cooked with Georgia and Dimitri at To Palio Bostani Taverna in Kalogria, these delicious little morsels are delicious served with ice cold beer, ouzo or tsipouro – a distilled grape liqueur.
Ingredients250g gavros (similar to anchovies), cleaned, boned and heads removed
1 cup (250ml) wine vinegar or to cover
1/3 cup (30g) sea salt flakes
Sliced garlic, to serve
Chopped parsley, to serve
PreparationTo prepare anchovies, pinch the head between your thumb and forefinger and pull it off (the innards should come away too), then cut off the tail and slip out the backbone, rinse (if necessary) and pat dry.
Combine anchovies, white wine vinegar and salt in a glass dish. Mix well, cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Remove anchovies from vinegar mixture with a slotted spoon and serve topped with sliced garlic and parsley.
Displaying 10 of 236 Greek Restaurants.
|6.||Yots Greek Taverna||Larrakeyah|
|9.||George's Greek Tavern||Malvern East|
Featured Food & Recipes
- Andhra curry leaf chicken
- Fish head curry (gulai kepala ikan)
- Roast capsicum sauce (salsa de pimiento)
- Spiced pork skewers (pintxos morunos)
- Linzer torte
- Cauliflower and cavolo nero rice pie
- Indian chicken korma
- Lemon meringue tart with blueberry jelly
- Warm salad of rare roasted venison with celeriac, pear and red cabbage
- Best end of lamb with eggplant caviar and a fricassee of sweetbreads, chorizo and anchovy
Rinsing long-grain white rice before cooking removes excess starch, thus helping the rice cook more evenly and be less sticky. Some specialty rice, such as basmati, is always rinsed and soaked before cooking to obtain separate, perfectly cooked grains. However, other rice, such as Arborio, prized for its starchiness in risotto, is never rinsed.
Parsley is flat leaf or continental parsley is used in many dishes.