Brown bean soup recipe
- Cuisine: Dutch
- Cook Time: 1 hr(s) 40 min(s)
- Serves 4-6
SBS Dutch radio's Anneke Mackay-Smith talks to Josie Tonen about a recipe for hearty bean soup. The bacon adds a hint of smoky flavour.
Ingredients500g brown beans
1 bay leaf
1 dried chilli pepper (optional)
250g smoked bacon
1 leek, peeled, chopped
2 sticks celery, peeled, chopped
3 potatoes, peeled, chopped
2 onions, peeled, chopped
Chopped parsley, to garnish
PreparationPlace the beans in a container. Cover with water and soak overnight.
In a large saucepan of water, add the bay leaf, chilli, cloves and bacon, and simmer for about 1½ hours.
Add the leek, celery, potato and onion to the saucepan and simmer a further 10-15 minutes. Remove the bay leaf, chilli and cloves.
Remove the bacon, dice and return to saucepan. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Serve with sour cream and decorate with thinly cut fried bacon.
If you enjoyed this Brown bean soup recipe then browse more Dutch recipes, soup recipes, dutch radio recipes, prepare ingredients in advance recipes and our most popular hainanese chicken rice recipe.
Featured Food & Recipes
- Andhra curry leaf chicken
- Fish head curry (gulai kepala ikan)
- Roast capsicum sauce (salsa de pimiento)
- Spiced pork skewers (pintxos morunos)
- Linzer torte
- Cauliflower and cavolo nero rice pie
- Indian chicken korma
- Lemon meringue tart with blueberry jelly
- Warm salad of rare roasted venison with celeriac, pear and red cabbage
- Best end of lamb with eggplant caviar and a fricassee of sweetbreads, chorizo and anchovy
While spoons and chopsticks are used to eat Lao soups, wet dishes and noodles, the custom when eating sticky rice is to use only the fingers and palm of the right hand. It is also customary to replace the lid of the rice basket when you are finished.
A Mauritian "red sauce" used to braise meat, poultry and fish.