Ambul thial recipe
Created by Peter Kuruvita
- Cuisine: Sri Lankan
1kg of black fish
1/2 table spoon coriander
1/2 table spooncumin
1 table spoon roasted curry powder
2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
1 stick of cinnamon
3 pieces of goroka
1 large onion diced chopped fine
2 green chillies
2 cloves garlic
1 sprig curry leaves
¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tbsp chilli flakes
1 slice of ginger
1 tsp of black pepper corns
water to cover the fish
juice of lime
PreparationGrind the cardamom pods, coriander, cumin, curry powder, salt, pepper, cinnamon chillies, garlic, chilli flakes, ginger, black pepper corns and goroka with a little water onto a grinding stone and make a paste. Set aside.
Wash and cut the fish into 4-6 pieces through the bone.
Place all the remaining ingredients in an earthenware chatty with 250 ml of water and mix until the paste has dissolved.
Mix in the fish and then cook over a coal fire, covered, until the water has evaporated.
Sri Lankan Restaurants
Displaying 10 of 34 Sri Lankan Restaurants.
|2.||Blue Elephant||Pennant Hills|
|4.||Annalakshmi on the Swan||Perth|
|7.||Tas Ceylon||Lenah Valley|
|9.||Jazzi's Indian & Continental Restaurant||South Hurstville|
|10.||Flavour of Ceylon||Parramatta|
Featured Food & Recipes
- Andhra curry leaf chicken
- Fish head curry (gulai kepala ikan)
- Roast capsicum sauce (salsa de pimiento)
- Spiced pork skewers (pintxos morunos)
- Linzer torte
- Cauliflower and cavolo nero rice pie
- Indian chicken korma
- Lemon meringue tart with blueberry jelly
- Warm salad of rare roasted venison with celeriac, pear and red cabbage
- Best end of lamb with eggplant caviar and a fricassee of sweetbreads, chorizo and anchovy
Make it strong. The second cup is always better.
A brown or yellow flat legume about the size of a pea used for soups, stews, and garnishes.