Dutch pea soup recipe (snert)
- Cuisine: Dutch
- Serves 8
This thick pea soup with smoked sausage is best made a day ahead, so that the flavours intensify. Soak the peas overnight, changing the water about every 4 hours.
Ingredients500g split green peas, soaked overnight
1 pig’s trotter*
400g lightly smoked speck* or smoked pork hock
1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
1 onion, finely chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 celeriac, peeled, chopped
1 desiree potato, grated
310g smoked pork sausage (such as rookworst, kielbasa or mild Csabai)*, sliced
Sour cream and pumpernickel bread*, to serve
PreparationRinse and drain peas. Place in a large saucepan with pig’s trotter, speck and 3L water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and cook, partially covered, for 2 hours or until peas are very tender.
Add leek, onion, celery, celeriac, potato and 500ml water to pea mixture and cook for a further 30 minutes or until celeriac is tender. Remove trotter and speck, then remove meat and fat from the bones and shred. Discard bones, rind and excess fat. Add shredded meats and sausage to pea soup and cook for a further 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and serve in coffee cups or bowls with sour cream and pumpernickel bread.
* Order pig’s trotters from your butcher.
* Speck is a salted and smoked pork, from selected delis, butchers and supermarkets. The darker its colour and the harder it is, indicates a heavier smoking. Substitute streaky bacon.
* Rookworst (Dutch), kielbasa (Polish) and Csabai (Hungarian) sausages are from Eastern European delis and selected supermarkets.
* Pumpernickel bread, from delis and selected supermarkets, is a type of rye bread.
DRINK An Original Collins cocktail with Bol’s Genever Gin, Holland ($45, 700ml)
As seen in Feast magazine, Issue 10, pg78.
Photography by Brett Stevens.
If you enjoyed this Dutch pea soup recipe (snert) then browse more Dutch recipes, soup recipes, meat recipes, prepare ingredients in advance recipes, slow cooking recipes and our most popular hainanese chicken rice recipe.
Featured Food & Recipes
- Andhra curry leaf chicken
- Fish head curry (gulai kepala ikan)
- Roast capsicum sauce (salsa de pimiento)
- Spiced pork skewers (pintxos morunos)
- Linzer torte
- Cauliflower and cavolo nero rice pie
- Indian chicken korma
- Lemon meringue tart with blueberry jelly
- Warm salad of rare roasted venison with celeriac, pear and red cabbage
- Best end of lamb with eggplant caviar and a fricassee of sweetbreads, chorizo and anchovy
To serve coconut rice Malaysian style, scoop individual servings into a small soup bowl to mould rice before upending it onto plates.
A mild Ethiopian "curry" sauce, featuring garlic and ginger, turmeric and pungent spices.