Edirne-style fried lamb’s liver with red onion salad recipe (ciger tava)
- Cuisine: Turkish
- Serves 6
If each Turkish city was defined by a produce, then Edirne’s would be lamb or veal liver. The secret to this dish is using lots of butter!
Ingredients250g lamb’s or veal liver, membrane removed, cut into 5mm strips
250ml (1 cup) milk
Plain flour, to dust
1 tsp ground paprika
1 tsp isot chilli flakes*
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp ground cumin
40g unsalted butter
2 thin long red chillies
Red onion salad
½ red onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp sumac
1 tsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
PreparationSoak liver in milk for 1 hour. Drain, discard the milk and rinse liver under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towel. Set aside.
To make onion salad, using your hands, knead red onion and sumac in a bowl for 1 minute or until onion is softened. Stir in parsley and set aside.
Place flour in a shallow bowl. Dust liver with flour and shake off excess. Combine paprika, chilli flakes, thyme, cumin and 1 tsp each salt and pepper in a small bowl. Melt butter in a frying pan over high heat, add liver and chillies, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until browned. Remove from heat, add spice mix and stir to combine. Serve topped with red onion salad.
* Isot or Urfa chilli flakes, from Turkish food shops, are mild, slightly smoky and purplish-black. Substitute coarsely ground chilli (no seeds) from Asian food shops or regular chilli flakes (with seeds).
DRINK Efes Pilsener
As seen in Feast magazine, Issue 8, pg96.
Photography by Alan Benson.
If you enjoyed this Edirne-style fried lamb’s liver with red onion salad recipe (ciger tava) then browse more Turkish recipes, meat recipes, easy recipes, prepare ingredients in advance recipes and our most popular hainanese chicken rice recipe.
Displaying 10 of 89 Turkish Restaurants.
|2.||Turkish Pide House||Jamison|
|4.||Efes One Turkish Restaurant||Albion|
|6.||The Kilim Turkish Restaurant||Richmond|
|8.||Sahara Turkish Restaurant Burwood||Burwood|
|10.||Merhaba Turkish Cuisine Restaurant||Auburn|
Featured Food & Recipes
- Andhra curry leaf chicken
- Fish head curry (gulai kepala ikan)
- Roast capsicum sauce (salsa de pimiento)
- Spiced pork skewers (pintxos morunos)
- Linzer torte
- Cauliflower and cavolo nero rice pie
- Indian chicken korma
- Lemon meringue tart with blueberry jelly
- Warm salad of rare roasted venison with celeriac, pear and red cabbage
- Best end of lamb with eggplant caviar and a fricassee of sweetbreads, chorizo and anchovy
Adding vegemite to gravy
Adding a tablespoon of vegemite while you are making gravy will impart the smoky, meaty flavour into the sauce.
A traditional Russian dessert for celebrating Easter. Made from curd cheese, cream, almonds, chocolate and dried fruit