The federal government has issued a statement condemning the attacks in Jakarta, while warning Australians there to stay away from affected areas.
Source:
AAP
14 Jan 2016 - 5:52 PM  UPDATED 14 Jan 2016 - 9:32 PM

The federal government is checking whether any Australians have been affected by the explosions in Jakarta as it warns others to stay away from affected areas.

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop has condemned the attacks, which have claimed at least three lives.

"Our embassy is making urgent enquiries with local authorities to determine whether any Australians have been affected," she said in a statement on Thursday.

It was too early to determine how much damage had been caused or the number of casualties.

Ms Bishop warned Australians to avoid the area of the Sarinah Mall, where explosions and gunfire have been reported.

The minister said she'd also spoken to her Indonesian counterpart and offered her Australian support.

Australian Federal Police commissioner Andrew Colvin also said the force was ready to help Indonesia.

"#AusFedPolice standing by to assist our Indonesian partners wherever needed. Our thoughts with the people of #Indonesia and #Jakarta," he tweeted.