• A child has been hospitalised after a fidget spinner mishap. (Keystone)
A Sydney boy has been hospitalised after swallowing part of a fidget spinner, a popular toy that's selling all over Australia.
Source:
AAP
19 Jun - 12:34 PM  UPDATED 19 Jun - 1:01 PM

A young Sydney boy was rushed to hospital after swallowing part of a fidget spinner - the latest toy craze sweeping Australian playgrounds.

His mother has shared an X-ray of her son on Facebook, showing a small part of the toy lodged in his stomach.

"Our son swallowed the disc of a fidget spinner last night & ended up at RNSH Emergency," she told the North Shore Mums Facebook group on Sunday.

The toy, which contains ball bearings, had cracked and broken apart before her son swallowed part of it, she said.

"Ours are now in the bin & just want to make you all aware of what can happen with these things," she said.

"He has to pass it within 2 days or we're looking at alternative methods of extraction."

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission last month issued a recall for a specific fidget spinner that contained button batteries, which pose a choking hazard for young children.

Fidget spinners are one of the most popular toys for children this year and are marketed as a way to help kids release stress.

A Royal North Shore Hospital spokesman said the boy has been released.