Federal parliamentarians who have gone back to state or local politics:
- Nick Xenophon: Independent senator since 2008 making a second tilt at South Australian politics.
- Guy Barnett: Tasmanian Liberal senator, now resources minister in the Hodgman government.
- Michael Ferguson: Liberal MP, now Tasmania's health minister.
- Harry Woods: Labor MP who became a NSW government minister.
- Yvette D'Ath: Labor MP, now attorney-general in the Queensland Palaszczuk government.
- John Brumby: Labor MP who became Victorian premier.
- Robb Hulls: Queensland Labor MP for one term who went into Victorian state politics and became attorney-general.
- Alannah MacTiernan: Served in Western Australian state politics for 17 years, had a stint as a local mayor, before becoming a federal MP for a term. She's now back in WA state parliament and is agriculture minister.
- Philip Ruddock: Former coalition minister, now mayor of Hornsby in northern Sydney.
Xenophon quits Senate for state politics
Nick Xenophon has revealed he will quit the Senate to run in the South Australian state election early next year.