• A man watches file footage of North Korea's missile launch and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, at Seoul Railway Station, South Korea, Friday, Sept. 15, 2017. (AP)
North Korean hackers stole a large amount of classified military documents, including South Korea-US wartime operational plans to wipe out the North Korean leadership, a South Korean ruling party lawmaker said on Wednesday.
Source:
Reuters - SBS Wires
11 Oct - 5:58 AM  UPDATED 11 Oct - 7:51 PM

Democratic Party representative Rhee Cheol-hee said in radio appearances on Wednesday that 235 gigabytes of military documents were taken from the Defense Integrated Data Center in September last year, citing information from unnamed South Korean defense officials.

This May an investigative team inside the defense ministry announced the hack had been carried out by North Korea, but did not disclosed what kind of information had been taken.

Pyongyang has denied responsibility for the cyberattacks in its state media, criticising Seoul for “fabricating” claims about online attacks.

Related reading
Other nations could be emboldened by North Korea: Bishop
Foreign Minister Julie Bishop fears a failure to stop North Korea's ambitions could embolden other nations to act illegally.
North Korea 'has ballistic missile with a range of 3000km': Russia
North Korea's leadership has told Russian lawmakers that it possesses a ballistic missile with a range of 3,000 kilometres that will be able to reach US territory after modernisation, the Interfax news agency reported on Tuesday.
 

Rhee, currently a member of the National Assembly’s committee for national defense, said about 80 percent of the hacked data has not yet been identified, but that none of the information was expected to have compromised the South Korean military as it was not top classified intelligence.

Some of the hacked data addressed how to identify movements of members of the North Korean leadership, how to seal off their hiding locations, attack from the air before eliminating them, the lawmaker had said.

These plans had likely not been classified properly but defense ministry officials told Rhee the hacked documents were not of top importance, he said.

Rhee said on Wednesday the hack had been made possible via “a simple mistake” after a connector jack linking the military’s intranet to the internet had not been eliminated after maintenance work had been done on the system.

The South Korean Defence Ministry’s official stance is that they can not confirm anything the lawmaker said in terms of the hacked content due to the sensitivity of the matter.

In Washington, the Pentagon said it was aware of the media reports but would not comment on the potential breach.

“Although I will not comment on intelligence matters or specific incidents related to cyber intrusion, I can assure you that we are confident in the security of our operations plans and our ability to deal with any threat from North Korea,” Pentagon spokesman Colonel Robert Manning told reporters.

North Korea, the US and Guam explained

Related reading
Trump may visit DMZ on North Korea border
Donald Trump and North Korea's Kim Jong Un have had increasingly bellicose exchanges of rhetoric, but the president may visit the heavily-fortified border.
Deadly nerve agent found on body of North Korean leader's half-brother
Only a small amount of nerve agent - but more than enough to kill him - was found on the face of the North Korean leader's half-brother Kim Jong-Nam after he died in agony following an airport attack, a court heard on Tuesday.
Australia blocks North Korean youth football team over nuclear program
A youth football qualifying fixture is likely to be moved offshore after the government moved to stop the North Korean team from entering Australia.
UN slaps global port ban on ships for North Korea sanctions violations
The UN has slapped a global port ban on four vessels found violating sanctions against North Korea, the head of an expert panel said Monday in what he described as an unprecedented move.
Russia, China call for restraint after Trump's North Korea threat
Russia and China are calling for calm after President Donald Trump hinted at military action against North Korea in a tweet.