The hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 is moving to a new area south of where an intensive effort failed to find a trace.

Stay up to date with the latest developments on missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370

  • Follow SBS World News on Facebook and Twitter for the latest breaking news
Thursday 26 Jun 2014

New search area for MH370

More than 100 days after a Malaysia Airlines jet went missing search authorities admit they have been looking in the wrong place.
Based on new satellite projections, the Australian-led search operation will now focus on a 60,000 square kilometre area further south in the Indian Ocean.It has also been confirmed for the first time that the Boeing 777, carrying 239 people, was...

Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 was "highly, highly likely" on autopilot when it ran out of fuel and crashed, Australian officials said Thursday as they announced the search will shift further south.
   
"It would be fair to comment that it is highly, highly likely that the aircraft was on autopilot, otherwise it could not have followed the orderly path that has been identified through the satellite sightings," Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss said.

The hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 is moving to a new area south of where an intensive effort failed to find a trace.

Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss says this new area was checked for wreckage earlier but the search would now go underwater.

An expert group has reviewed all existing information and the new area, covering up to 60,000 square kilometres in the southern Indian Ocean, is now regarded as the aircraft's most likely final resting place.

It's expected the underwater search will start in August and take up to 12 months.

More than three months have passed since the Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people aboard - including six Australians.

The new search area for missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 (Joint Agency Coordination Centre)
Friday 20 Jun 2014

Malaysia and Australia will share the cost of the next phase of the search for MH370. (AAP)

The drawn-out search for missing Malaysian Flight MH370 will revert to an area hundreds of kilometres south of the previously suspected crash site following new analysis of the plane's flight path, a report said Friday.
   
Investigators grappling to solve the mystery of the jet's disappearance are set to scour a zone 1,800 kilometres (1,116 miles) west of Perth -- previously subject to an aerial search -- when an underwater probe resumes in August, the West Australian said.
   
Citing unnamed US sources, the newspaper said Australia's Joint Agency Coordination Centre (JACC) would soon announce the hunt will move 800 kilometres southwest from where it was previously focused.
   
It said these sources had revealed that survey ship Fugro Equator was already operating in this area and would soon be joined by Chinese vessel Zhu Kezhen.
   
A massive aerial and underwater search for MH370, which had 239 people onboard when it diverted from its Kuala Lumpur to Beijing flight path on March 8, has failed to find any sign of the plane.
   
Scientists from British company Inmarsat told the BBC earlier this week that the search had yet to target the most likely crash site, or "hotspot", after becoming diverted by pings thought at the time to have originated from the plane's black boxes.
   
It was not clear from the West Australian report whether the new search area overlaps with the "hotspot".
   
JACC said Friday that the revised search zone, based on an intensive study of satellite communications from the jet and other data, would be announced by the end of the month.
   
Australian officials have said repeatedly that the revised search zone will be in the area of the seventh arc, or the final satellite "handshake" from the plane. It is believed to be when the aircraft ran out of fuel and was in descent.
   
JACC said the Fugro Equator was now working in this zone.
   
"Located along the seventh arc, that area is consistent with provisional analysis of satellite and other data that is being used to determine the future search area," it said.
   
Australian officials announced earlier this week that a survey of the sea bed, as yet mostly unmapped and crucial to the success of the underwater search, had resumed.
   
Two ships -- Fugro Equator and Zhu Kezhen -- will survey an area up to 6,000 metres deep and covering up to 60,000 square kilometres before an a contractor begins an intensive undersea probe looking for debris.
   
Previously an intensive undersea search for the plane, in the area in which the acoustic noises were detected, failed to find any sign of the jet. The source of the noises is unknown.

Tuesday 17 Jun 2014
Sunday 15 Jun 2014

(AAP)

Malaysia says there will be no let-up in the search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, in a statement to mark 100 days since the plane disappeared.

"We cannot and will not rest until MH370 is found," Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said on Sunday.

The Beijing-bound aircraft, with 239 people on board, including six Australians and two New Zealanders, disappeared about an hour after it took off from Kuala Lumpur International Airport on March 8.

Read more here.

Thursday 12 Jun 2014
Malaysia Airlines' insurer has begun paying initial compensation to the families of passengers aboard missing Flight MH370.
Malaysia Airlines' insurer has begun paying the families of passengers who were aboard Flight MH370 $US50,000 ($A54,100) each in initial compensation three months after the jet disappeared, a government official says.So far six Malaysian and one...
Wednesday 11 Jun 2014
Relatives of Chinese passengers who were aboard the missing Malaysia Airlines plane have confronted airline officials in Beijing.
Frustrated Chinese relatives of passengers who were on board missing Flight MH370 have visited the offices of Malaysia Airlines in Beijing to confront officials after regular briefings by the airline were halted.The relatives had previously been...