Wednesday 10 Sep 2014
The parents of a Dutch man killed in the the MH17 plane disaster over eastern Ukraine say a preliminary report into the crash confirms what they already knew.
Seline Fredriksz's 23-year-old son Bryce was onboard the flight. She says she wants more answers what what killed him.
"I would like to know why? Was it on purpose that they shot down a passenger flight or was it meant to be a Ukraine flight or maybe a military plane," she said.
"I'd like to know. And of course we'd like to know who did it and who's responsible."
The Australian government say they remain convinced MH17 was shot down by missiles.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott and Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss released a joint statement saying the report does not attribute blame or liability for the incident.
"This is the role of the multinational criminal investigation led by the Dutch Public Prosecution Service, which is currently underway," the statement read.
"The international community must remain focused on finding, prosecuting and punishing the perpetrators of this cowardly attack."
The wreckage of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 - downed over Ukraine in July - was "consistent with the damage that would be expected from a large number of high-energy objects that penetrated the aircraft from outside", crash investigators say.
The fact that there were many pieces of aircraft structure distributed over a large area indicated that the Boeing 777, en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, broke up in the air, a preliminary report by the Dutch Safety Board (DSB) said.
A total of 298 people, including 38 Australian citizens and residents, died in the July 17 incident.
The DSB said the black boxes recovered from the war-torn crash site in Ukraine showed no evidence of manipulation.
The black box cockpit voice recorder (CVR) which provided a record of pilots' conversations "gave no indication of any malfunction or emergency" before the crash.
Friday 15 Aug 2014
Forensic experts have formally identified the first remains of Australian victims of the MH17 disaster.
Mary and Gerry Menke were among the 298 people killed when the Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 was downed over insurgent-held eastern Ukraine on July 17.
The Menke family said in a statement on Friday they were "relieved" that Mary and Gerry had been identified.
"We wish to thank all those who have helped in this process," the family said.
"We look forward to receiving Mary and Gerry again soon in the place and the community they loved so much and which loved them.
"Once again we extend our deepest condolences to all those affected by this tragedy."