There are many reasons why people love K-pop, such as the concepts, the hair, and of course, the good-looking idols. But for some people, it was "that one song" that kickstarted their journey of becoming a K-pop fan.
In an interesting new thread over at Reddit, fans began discussing which were "the" songs that pulled them into the world of K-pop. Given that Reddit is home to fans who have diverse tastes and interests, the answers were certainly very interesting.
Here are some of the songs that fans claim got them hooked onto K-pop:
- Kinda embarrassed to admit this but I used to watch a lot of family guy, and after watching the Korean episode with Sistar I immediately searched them up and now my life is about kpop like Peter said lol.
- "I am the best" by 2NE1.
- gee gee gee gee baby baby baby
- It technically wasn't kpop, but BoA's Every Heart as an ending song for Inuyasha back in 2004. If i liked a song from an anime or video game i would look up who sang it and listen to their other music, and that was the first i ever heard of a Korean pop singer. I checked out her kpop output, although i preferred her Jpop stuff, and i stuck around to check out other artists like TVXQ, Super Junior, Rain, etc. although it wasn't until Wonder Girls that i found a group whose kpop style i really liked since everyone seemed to be into r&b stuff back then and i don't really care for that sound.
- Lucifer. It was July 2012 and after I finished watch You're Beautiful I decided to check out this "Kpop thing" so a friend told me SHINee. I watched a few of their videos but Lucifer dragged me in and I haven't been normal ever since.
- I Got a Boy was like me staring into the rabbit hole with great interest while B.A.P's One Shot sucked me in before I knew what was happening. Years later and yeah, I'm still stuck with no way out.
- The song that really got me into Kpop was definitely Rough by Gfriend. Like Ooh Ahh caught my attention but I was so mesmerized with gfriend's entire stage presentation (choreo, outfits etc) that I learned to stay up and watch music shows and watch variety because of how desperate I was to see more of it. And now here I am today. Thanks gfriend.
Fantastic Baby, I even marked the date in my calendar - September 17.
Wait... so tomorrow is my 6 months anniversary? Great timing, OP!
- f(x) - Electric Shock and Shinee - Sherlock. Back (almost 2 years ago now) when I thought it'd hold my interest for maybe 2 weeks, tops, and the only member who's name I'd learn would be Amber. Ah, past!me.
- BRING THE BOYS OUT!
"Bad Boy" - BIGBANG.
Though it was actually Super Junior's dancing in some song I can't remember that actually got me interested, but I didn't like the music at all. Thank you YouTube sidebar recommendations for showing me BIGBANG.
Welcome, first time with BTS?
This was the song that started it all, it's probably going to be my favorite BTS song ever
What songs got you hooked on K-pop?
Hear us on SBS PopAsia Digital Radio
Listen in 24/7 on Digital Radio, by downloading our free mobile app or by streaming live here on our website.
Download the app here: