WHAT IS VICTORIA'S ASSISTED DYING BILL?
* Laws have passed the lower house without amendment
* Upper House debating it
* If bill passes by the end of 2017, an 18-month implementation period means the scheme could be in place by mid-2019
WHO CAN APPLY?
* Victorian adults, with a progressive, advanced terminal illness and 12 months or less to live
* Suffering must be deemed "intolerable"
* They must be of sound mind
HOW WILL IT WORK?
* Patients must make three, clear requests
* They will be assessed by two experienced doctors, including at least one specialist
* Those approved will be granted permits for lethal medications, which must be self-administered
* A permit will be granted for doctors to administer medication only in cases where the patient physically cannot
* Doctors do not have to be present when patients administer the medication
* The process to apply and receive medication will take 10 days
* The Department of Health and Human Services will approve applications
* An assisted dying review board will oversee each step of the process
WHAT ARE THE PENALTIES?
* If someone breaches the self administration permit, they face potential life imprisonment
* Anyone who induces a person to request the scheme faces up to five years jail and substantial fines
* Doctors who suggest the assisted dying scheme to patients face a professional misconduct investigation
SOURCE: VICTORIAN GOVERNMENT