SBS is committed to being an increasingly diverse organisation, reflecting the diverse communities it serves, and ensuring it is an inclusive workplace for all.
SBS recently outlined to its employees a range of actions and measures to support ongoing improvement in diversity, representation and inclusion in the workplace. These initiatives build on the existing three year SBS Inclusion Strategy launched in 2018, and are outlined against the categories of Representation, Organisational Capability, Transparency and Measurement, and Process and Systems.
With effect on 6 July 2020, SBS elevated two of its most capable and respected senior leaders to the Executive Leadership Team, in newly created roles:
- Director of Indigenous Content - Tanya Denning-Orman. Tanya is responsible for SBS’s Indigenous content strategy, including the management of NITV.
- Director of Corporate Strategy - Sarah Yassien. Sarah is responsible for SBS’s Corporate Strategy and the Audience, Data and Insights function.
Additional initiatives to drive improvements in representation across SBS include:
- A voluntary register of staff with a range of lived experiences to participate in job interview panels, to avoid risks around unconscious bias.
- A candidate development fund to incentivise SBS hiring managers to select from internal talent pools. This will help lift representation more rapidly and create more opportunities for professional growth.
- Identified positions across disciplines and seniority levels to enhance representation of Indigenous employees outside of NITV.
- A program to identify high-potential talent from under-represented backgrounds and invest in a comprehensive development plan across a 12-month period to accelerate their growth.
- Identify and train a number of SBS inclusion champions to provide support and information to staff, as an alternative avenue to a formal complaints or investigative process.
- Appoint two Indigenous Elders in residence to provide support and cultural empowerment to staff.
- All staff to complete the existing SBS Inclusion Program, developed in partnership between SBS and key peak bodies and community organisations. This will form part of onboarding for new staff and be mandatory for all existing staff.
- Develop a guide to support the production and assessment of multicultural and Indigenous content, in alignment with existing guides or, where appropriate, to lead changes to existing style guides or resources that reflect best practice.
Transparency and Measurement
- Clear information to be available to all staff after each Inclusion Council meeting, to increase transparency on actions and initiatives internally.
- SBS website to include more information about the makeup of our workforce at all levels, and about our diversity initiatives.
Process and Systems
- Conduct an end-to-end review of production procedures and practices.
- Reviews of core SBS processes to identify where they can be improved.
To download a PDF version of this statement, click here.