The team presentation: where organisers, team PR and the riders themselves try to make dudes in lycra look really cool...and stuff.
Here's some of the things we spotted after perusing photos and social media from the 2016 Vuelta a Espana team presentation common to all grand tour presentations.
1. Riders will always try to look excited when made to do stuff
2. If Meatloaf is booked, the host nation's Queen of Pop might be available
3. This guy always shows up in his home made shoes
4. People will always try for the gratuitous full body pan of Valverde
Nabbing the full body pan on camera is as rare as hen's teeth, but someone managed it.
— Movistar Team (@Movistar_Team) August 18, 2016
5. Many will try, but no team will beat Sky at the sunglass game
— Team Sky (@TeamSky) August 18, 2016
Especially not this lot anyway:
6. Team PR try hard to make riders look all nonchalant and cool
By references to pop culture:
By putting them in the boot like they do it all the time:
Some riders will ignore them and actually sit in the cool shade:
7. This guy still has the best smile
— Vuelta a España (@lavuelta) August 18, 2016
The Vuelta a Espana starts tomorrow. Daily highlights will be available online at Cycling Central each morning and mostly from 5pm AEST on SBS each night with the final eight stages broadcast live. But please check here for the exact times and details.