• Christoph Strasser beat the long road ahead. (Supplied)Source: Supplied
Austrian ultra-cyclist Christoph Strasser is ready for "a nice barbeque, burgers and some cold drinks" after riding six days 10 hours and 58 minutes from Cottesloe Beach in Perth to the Sydney Opera House.
Cycling Central

17 Jan 2017 - 11:29 AM  UPDATED 8 Mar 2017 - 7:50 AM

Strasser bettered the previous record of seven days and eight hours previously set by compatriot Gerhard Gulewicz, by 490 kilometres.

“This is an incredible success for me. The last week threw everything at me, especially the weather was challenging: ranges between 10 and 44 degrees Celcius, from heat to heavy rain and head to tailwind, it had everything”, the 34-year old Strasser said.

“I was worried about the heat across the Nullabor and didn't expect the amount of rain at all. Unfortunately, I only had one rain outfit with me, so sometimes I had to borrow the jackets of my crew."

Strasser survived on only 5hr 45min sleep, taking his first break after 36 hours of riding followed by another four 45 minute rest stops.

“The fact that I completed the trans-Australian crossing on such little sleep is another record achievement," he said.

"I have a team that knows me inside-out and that has been working together so well for years. Again they were really able to motivate me and keep me going when the tiredness hit."

The eight-person support crew included a doctor, team manager, mechanics and media. Strasser's 3600km ride was interrupted only once for a flat.

However, the Australian wildlife kept him alert, with Kangaroos and curious Emus making their presence felt on several occasions.

“Otherwise, I saw a lot of roadkill alongside the course and some cockroaches were making life hell for the support crew in the camper van”, he said.

The experienced Strasser has won the Race Across America three times which placed him in a good position to brave the conditions. He was also boosted by local support during the ride.

“We felt so welcome by all the Australians we met along the road, so many cheered us on and even came out before work in Wagga Wagga, where the local riders put together a downright fan fest," he said.

"It means a lot to me that so many people from all across Australia and the world have been following my adventure and have wished me well.

“For now, all I want is a nap and some real food again. We'll stay for a week, have organised a house for the crew in Bondi, so we'll be jumping into the ocean and enjoying the sights of Sydney and surrounds to recover."