Sagan had been off on altitude block before competing in the Canadian classics, where he won GP de Quebec and also looked strong in GP Montreal.
Sagan then traveled back to Europe last Monday to finalise his preparation for a possible third consecutive world title. However, his build-up for Bergen has hit an obstacle.
Bora-Hansgrohe sports director Enrico Poitschke told Norwegian television channel TV2 about Sagan’s illness on Thursday evening. Sagan’s coach Patxi Vila then confirmed to Cyclingnews separately that Sagan had suffered with a sore throat.
“He was supposed to do the TTT but we decided it was better he takes it easy," said Vila. "He trains at home and then comes back for the road race. It’s a throat thing but nothing to worry about."
Sagan was on the list for the TTT for Bora-Hansgrohe but was not named in the final six-rider squad. Jan Barta, Marcus Burghardt, Maciej Bodnar, Patrick Konrad, Alex Saramotins and Lukas Pöstlberger are the riders that have been selected for Bora-Hansgrohe in Bergen.
Poitschke suggested to TV2 that Sagan’s illness could affect his chances of winning a third world title next Sunday in the elite men’s road race. Bora-Hansgrohe's press officer subsequently played down Sagan’s absence and the possible impact of his illness.
"The plan was changed because he should focus entirely on the road race. After the altitude training in the United States and races in Canada, he was more tired than the coaches thought, especially with the jet lag," Ralph Scherzer told TV2.
SBS's coverage of the UCI Road World Championships begins Sunday September 17 8pm AEST with the Men's and Women's Team Time Trial.