A child's first time riding a bike is a treasured moment of growing up in Australia, a moment of development that is celebrated across cultural boundaries.
The Tour de France is the world's most-watched annual sporting event, with SBS coverage of the race bringing 'Le Tour' to lounge rooms Australia-wide.
There is a link between a child's first training wheels and one of the world’s biggest cycling spectacles, so SBS Cycling Central and ŠKODA are using their 10 year broadcast partnership to inspire and grow our Australian cycling community by introducing First Gear, an SBS Learn resource to strengthen that bond and encourage young Australians to get into cycling.
SBS Learn will create a new learning hub for schools to educate and encourage students to embrace the positive cycling lifestyle.
To launch the First Gear initiative, SBS Learn and ŠKODA will host two free community launch events in Melbourne and Sydney, bringing together Australian cycling legends and the next generation of two-wheeled stars.
Meet World and Australian champion Kate Bates alongside SBS personality Craig Foster.
Meet the voice of cycling for SBS, Matt Keenan, alongside Giro d'Italia stage-winner Dave McKenzie.
- Learn about what First Gear is and how schools can use the learning resources
- Write a good luck message on our Tour de France chalk path
- Participate in a ŠKODA cycling accessory activity
- Bring your bike into the mechanics for a tune up
- See the cars from the official Tour de France car providers
- Learn more about the ŠKODA Tour Tracker and this year's Tour de France
- Bring your bikes to have fun in the kids mini courses
- Face painting sessions
- Bike decorating workshops
- Competitions and giveaways
- Meet Australian cycling legends
- Be part of a podium photo opportunity
- Make your own bike smoothies with pedal power
SBS has been the home of the Tour de France for more than 30 years, with 2019 marking the 15th anniversary of the ŠKODA and Tour de France partnership.
With ŠKODA’s humble bicycle manufacturing beginnings growing into a global Tour de France sponsor, they hold a long history of association with the biggest bike race in the world and understand the cycling public.
Ask your community’s school to get involved with the SBS Learn & ŠKODA First Gear launch, and don’t miss the athleticism, verve and beauty of the world's most amazing live television spectacle, only on SBS.
Visit SBS Learn <link: https://www.sbs.com.au/learn> for more information on the First Gear classroom resource.