• Fabio Jakobsen celebrates winning the Grote Prijs Jean-Pierre Monsere 196km race 8 March 2020 (Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
Deceuninck-Quick Step team doctor Yvan Vanmol sees Fabio Jakobsen returning to cycling after his horror crash at the Tour of Poland last week but will not 'put a deadline on it', Sporza reports.
By
SBS Cycling Central

Source:
Sporza, Cyclingnews
10 Aug 2020 - 3:18 PM  UPDATED 10 Aug 2020 - 3:28 PM

Tour of Poland crash: Groenewegen apologises, cycling world erupts over race safety
"What matters most now is Fabio’s health. I think about him all the time.”
Reckless sprint leaves Jakobsen in fight for life at Tour of Poland
The UCI has condemned the sprint of Dylan Groenewegen after he veered Fabio Jakobsen into the barrier on the opening stage of the Tour of Poland leaving the Deceuninck–Quick-Step rider in a fight for his life.

Dr. Vanmol is positive the 23-year-old Dutch champion will get back on his bike "but I don't dare to stick to a term," Sporza reported yesterday (AEST). 

"I don't dare to put a deadline on it, but we assume that Fabio will be a rider again."

"Given the seriousness of the accident, Fabio Jakobsen is doing very well," he told Sporza. 

"Fabio is fully conscious. He can't talk yet, but communicating via text messages is fine."

Dr. Vanmol said Jakobsen will be transferred to the Netherlands at the end of this week. 

"What we are still concerned about is the aesthetic damage and possibly the muscle group around his mouth. Since no vital organs have been affected, we hope for the best."

"We are certainly communicating positive messages to him. That way Fabio also gets hope for recovery."

Evenepoel pays tribute to Jakobsen after stunning Tour of Poland solo win
Remco Evenepoel (Deceuninck-Quickstep) pulled off the most impressive of his WorldTour wins to date, jumping clear of the peloton with 51 kilometres remaining in Stage 4 of the Tour of Poland and increasing his lead all the way into the finish line in Bukowina Tatrzańska.

 

Meanwhile, newly crowned Milan-San Remo champion Wout van Aert expressed his support for Jumbo-Visma team mate Dylan Groenewegen who went off his sprint line which resulted in Jakobsen crashing into the barrier. 

Jumbo-Visma have suspended Groenewegen pending the UCI's investigation. The sprinter has publicly apologised for his role in the crash via an official statement and in an emotional nterview with broadcaster NOS last Friday. 

"We weren't in that race and so it's unnecessary and difficult to judge what happened there," Wout van Aert said after Milan-San Remo, reports Cyclingnews.

"We all know Dylan personally and we felt bad for him. We know he's a good guy and didn't do it on purpose. He made a big mistake but it was painful for us to see the reactions.

"Especially in the beginning, we were worried about Fabio and I was quite surprised that the general focus was not on that. He was in life danger and so everything else had to wait, in my opinion.

"It was strange to see talk about who was guilty and stuff like that. We were more following the news about Fabio because he's part of the peloton and the cycling family."

"We all know this job has a lot of risks and that we could crash like that one day," Van Aert said.

"We were really relieved there was a bit of positive news [about Jakobsen] and that his situation was evolving in a good way."