Making holiday entertaining easier, with our 5-plate planner.
1. Bake the dessert showstopper, a Vietnamese iced coffee pavlova the day before.
Drizzle over coffee syrup and sweetened condensed milk at the table.
2. Soft-boil these son-in-law eggs the day before, too.
They're the perfect sweet, sour and salty start to a meal. Refrigerating them will make them much easier to peel (trust us on this one). On the day, deep-fry and drizzle generously with the sticky tamarind caramel.
3. A crispy skin chicken with five-spice salt and sweet vinegar dressing to feed a crowd.
Poach this whole chicken the day before, then refrigerate overnight. Finish on the day by deep-frying the chicken to crisp up the skin (you can use the same oil as for the son-in-law eggs). Plus, it symbolises prosperity. Win-win.
4. Cook the rice the day before for the perfect fried rice with prawns.
5. Bring in good luck with a steamed whole fish with pandan and lemongrass.
A great shared dish to cook on the day - ready in 25 minutes with minimal prep.
In case you're still looking for inspo, here's our long list.