This salad is the perfect side for lots of meals, and hearty enough to be a meal on its own with soft boiled eggs and a creamy dressing.
- 3 thick slices sourdough bread, cut into 2-cm (¾-inch) cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves chopped (about 5 cups)
- 50 g (1¾ oz/½ cup) shaved parmesan (omit for vegan)
- ½ large avocado, sliced
- ½ large avocado, flesh chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, peeled
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (use a vegan version for a vegan dressing)
- 2 tsp Tabasco or other hot sauce
- ½ tsp salt
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Arrange the bread cubes on a baking tray and drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then bake for 15–20 minutes, turning halfway through. The croutons are done when they are golden and crunchy.
- Meanwhile, gently place the eggs in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring the water to the boil over medium heat. Once boiling, turn the heat off and leave theeggs for 4–5 minutes. Drain the hot water and immediately transfer the eggs to a bowl of cold water. Once they’re cool enough to handle, peel the eggs and set aside.
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a blender. Add 3 tablespoons water and blend together. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
- Place the kale in a large bowl, sprinkle with salt and drizzle half the dressing over. Use your hands to massage the kale with the dressing for about a minute. Add the parmesan, avocado, croutons and remaining dressing and toss well to combine.
- Transfer the salad to a serving plate. Halve the eggs, arrange on top and serve.
Recipe and images from The Shared Table by Clare Scrine, Smith Street Books, RRP $39.99