This is one of our favourite summer desserts. It’s incredibly easy to make and can be served warm or cold. It also makes a lovely, fruity breakfast, served with yoghurt and a sprinkling of sugar-free granola.
- 4 ripe nectarines or peaches, halved and stoned
- 150 g fresh or frozen blackberries
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds (around 15 g)
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/Gas 6.
2. Place the nectarine or peach halves in a small, shallow ovenproof dish or tin, cut side up. Sprinkle over 6 tablespoons of cold water. Scatter over the blackberries and the flaked almonds. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
3. Remove the foil and bake for a further 5–10 minutes, or until the almonds are lightly toasted and the nectarines are very soft.
4. Serve warm or cold with full-fat Greek yoghurt (20 calories per tablespoon) or crème fraîche (57 calories per tablespoon).
• If you don’t have blackberries, use raspberries instead.
Extracted from The Fast 800 Easy by Dr Clare Bailey and Justine Pattison. Published by Simon & Schuster Australia, RRP $35. Photography © Smith & Gilmour