Serve as part of a mixed banquet with dishes including Grilled scallops with bok choy.
Grilled mushrooms and cabbage are tossed with rice noodles and a soy sauce-lemon dressing.
- 12 large shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups fresh snow peas, cleaned and julienned
- 1½ tbsp (30 ml) peanut oil
- 3 small heads Napa cabbage (or wombok), cut lengthwise into quarters
- boiling water, for noodles
- 8 green onions, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp (45 ml) light soy sauce
- 3 tsp (15 ml) sesame oil
- 1½ tbsp (30 ml) rice wine vinegar
- 3 tsp sugar
- juice of 2 lemons
- ½ packet rice noodle vermicelli (about 200 g)
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Marinating time: 30 minutes
- Mix together marinade ingredients in a medium size bowl.
- Place all vegetables, excluding the snow peas, in the marinade and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat barbeque grill to 190°C (375°F ) or medium-high heat. Oil the grill.
- Remove the mushrooms and cabbage from marinade. Drizzle with peanut oil.
- Place cabbage on grill and cook for approx. 3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Place shitake mushrooms on grill and cook for 30 seconds. Flip mushrooms and cook for another 30 seconds or until slightly softened and golden. Remove mushrooms from grill and cool.
- Lightly chop cabbage and mushrooms. Place in marinade, add the reserved snow peas and lightly mix.
- Pour boiling water over rice stick and let sit for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water until noodles are cool. Mix noodles with vegetables and marinade. Serve garnished with sesame seeds.