This is a great option for entertaining, or a light meal served with salad: lamb mince mixed with a fragrant array of spices and spread over freshly made pita dough.
- Pita bread dough
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 500 g ground lamb
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Sliced cucumber
- Sliced tomato
- Kalamata olives
- Lemon wedges
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C (450 F).
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a skillet. Add onion and tomatoes and cook until softened. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Add onion mixture to lamb. Mix in cinnamon, cardamom, salt and pepper. Return to pan and drizzle over remaining olive oil. Stir and cook until lamb starts to brown, but is not completely cooked.
- Roll bread dough into several 10-inch (25 cm) rounds. Make indents with your fingers on the dough. Spread the lamb mixture onto the bread rounds.
- Bake in the oven at 230°C (450 F) for 10 minutes, or until dough is golden-brown.
- Serve warm with cucumber, tomato, Kalamata olives, and lemon wedges.