Inspired by India's comforting kitchari, Cherie makes a spiced brown rice and lentil bowl with the addition of cauliflower.
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 3-4 cloves
- 3-4 cardamon pods
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cm knob fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 cm knob fresh turmeric, peeled
- 1 cup medium grain brown rice
- ½ cup black lentils (Beluga lentils)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups cauliflower, chopped into 3-4cm pieces
- salt and pepper
- coconut yoghurt (optional)
- handful fresh coriander leaves
- hempseeds (optional)
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- In a frying pan, dry roast the spices until fragrant and popping in the pan. Remove from heat and place into a food processor with onion, garlic, coconut oil, ginger and turmeric root. Blitz until you have a smooth paste.
- Add paste to medium saucepan with a little extra oil and fry for 3-5 minutes until the onion is cooked and the paste is very fragrant.
- Add uncooked rice and lentils and stir to coat in the paste before pouring in the tinned tomatoes and water. Bring to the boil, then reduce to medium heat and place the lid on the saucepan to cook for 35-40 minutes.
- In the final 10 minutes of cooking, add the cauliflower and replace the lid on the saucepan to allow the vegetables to steam through with the rice.
- Check to be sure the rice and lentils are cooked and add extra water if required for further cooking time. Season to taste and serve with coconut yoghurt, fresh coriander and hempseeds.