Layering all the dry ingredients in a jar makes for an attractive and heartwarming gift!
- 1½ cups (275 g) brown sugar, firmly packed
- ¾ cup (110 g) plain flour
- ¾ cup (75 g) good quality cocoa powder
- ½ cup (60 g) whole pecans
- ½ cup (95 g) white chocolate chips
- ½ cup (40 g) desiccated coconut
- 3 lightly beaten eggs
- 200 g very soft butter
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. To give as a gift, layer the dry ingredients in a jar, and give with a copy of the instructions.
2. To make brownies, pre-heat oven to 160°C. Line the base of an 18 cm x 28 cm cake tin with baking paper.
3. Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and gently mix in eggs and softened butter until it makes a very thick batter. Pour batter into lined cake tin and smooth the top with a small offset spatula.
4. Bake for 30 minutes or until firm and a knife inserted in the centre comes out cleanly.
5. Leave in tin to cool completely and then cut into 18 pieces.