This crumble topping has so much interesting texture and a great nutty flavour.
- 20 g (¾ oz) butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 granny smith (or other cooking) apples (skin on), cut into thin wedges]
- 225 g (8 oz/1½ cups) frozen or fresh blueberries
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- natural or coconut yoghurt, to serve
- edible flowers, to serve
- 40 g (1½ oz) butter, melted
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 45 g (1½ oz/½ cup) quinoa flakes
- 25 g (1 oz/½ cup) coconut flakes
- 10 g (¼ oz/1 cup) puffed buckwheat cereal
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F (fan-forced).
Heat the butter and honey in a large heavy-based frying pan
over medium heat. Add the apple and cook, stirring occasionally,
for 5–10 minutes or until the apples are starting to colour and soften. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the blueberries, vanilla bean paste and the orange zest and juice. Spoon into four ovenproof bowls.
For the crumble topping, whisk the butter and tahini together in a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until the dry ingredients are well coated.
Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the fruit. Bake for 30–35 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling and the top is golden and crisp.
Cover with foil if the top is browning too quickly. Serve with a dollop of yoghurt and scatter with flowers.
• To make dairy free, replace the butter with coconut oil. To make vegan, also swap the honey for rice malt syrup, pure maple syrup or a couple of drops of liquid stevia.
This recipe is from Breakfast Bowls (Smith Street Books). Photography by Chris Middleton.