This is a twist on a classic French stew, using Asian mushrooms.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken marylands
- 2 French shallots, chopped
- ½ cup frozen baby peas
- 10 g dried mushrooms (morel or porcini), rehydrated in 3/4 cup of hot water
- 150 g mixed fresh mushrooms (such as shiitake, oyster, button and enoki), plus extra enoki to garnish, optional
- ¼ cup brandy
- 3 tsp butter
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ⅓ cup cream
- 1 tbsp garlic chives, finely chopped
- Steamed rice, to serve
- Salt and pepper
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Heat a large pan on a medium-high heat. Drizzle oil over the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Place the chicken skin side down in the pan and seal on both sides for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
2. Add shallots to the pan with an extra drizzle of oil, cook for a few minutes then add the peas followed by the drained rehydrated dried mushrooms, reserving the liquid for later. Roughly chop the fresh mushrooms, reserving the enoki for later. Add to the pan and stir though. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the mushrooms begin to soften and colour, continuing to turn the chicken every few minutes to ensure it cooks evenly.
3, Deglaze with the brandy, 2 teaspoons of butter, soy sauce and reserved mushroom stock and cook for 10-15 minutes on a medium to low heat until the chicken is cooked through. Note: if chicken pieces are large, ideally cook with a lid on.
4, Add the cream and give the pan a shake and reduce until the sauce thickens. Add the enoki mushrooms and then remove from the heat.
5. Add remaining teaspoon of butter and a pinch of salt and pepper to the cooked rice and fold through. Portion on to plates and serve with the chicken and lots of mushroom sauce. Garnish with chives and extra enoki mushrooms.