Paella is a like a party in a pan, full of colourful ingredients and made for sharing!
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 good-quality chorizo sausage, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4 chicken wings, cut in half
- 1 small-medium squid, cleaned and cut into 3cm pieces
- 200 g Bomba rice (Calasparra paella rice)
- Pinch of saffron (toasted)
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 4 green prawns
- 6 mussels or clams
- 1 lemon
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Place the saffron in the stock to infuse.
- Heat oil in the paella pan and add the chicken sear on all sides until golden brown. Now add the chorizo and sear for 3-4 minutes. Then remove. Now add for the sofrito add another tablespoon of oil and cook the onion, capsicum, tomato and garlic for 8-10 minutes until soft and jam-like. Add the calamari, chicken and chorizo to the sofrito and coat well. Add the paprika followed by the herbs and stir again. Season with salt and pepper. Add the infused stock and mix in.
- Once the stock comes to the boil rain in the rice. Give the pan a shake and allow to cook without stirring for 10-15 minutes to allow the rice to absorb the liquid and form a crust on the bottom of the pan.
- Arrange the remaining seafood on top of the paella and cook for a further 5-8 minutes or until the mussels open. Serve with lemon wedges.