This colourful vegetarian salad is a little different, with green tea noodles as the star ingredient. Combined with the dressing and herbs, it's a refreshing dish.
- ½ pack (125 g) green tea noodles
- ½ carrot cut into matchsticks
- 100 g snow peas, trimmed
- ¼ red onion, finely sliced
- ½ cucumber, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp finely sliced fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice, plus 1 tbsp grated orange rind
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger juice (grate 6 cm knob ginger and place into a muslin cloth and squeeze out the juice)
- 1 tsp mirin
- 1 tsp brown rice vinegar
- ½ tsp shoyu
- 1 tsp dark roasted sesame oil
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Marinating time 30 minutes
Bring a pot of water to a boil, add the noodles and cook until al dente using the "shock method". Drain and rinse under cold running water. Set aside.
Bring another small pot of water to the boil and blanch the carrots, snow peas and onions separately until slightly crisp. Refresh each under cold running water. Slice snow peas in half lengthways.
To make the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the orange juice, rind, ginger juice, mirin, brown rice vinegar, shoyu and sesame oil. Pour dressing over the noodles. Add the blanched and fresh vegetables. Mix thoroughly and top with fresh mint. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes before serving.