An easy food processor crumble forms both the base and the topping for these rich, sweet bars. You can use any jam you have - whatever jam's your jam!
- 2 cups (270 g) plain flour (see Note)
- ½ cup (60 g) rolled oats (see Note)
- ¼ cup (25 g) unsweetened desiccated coconut
- ½ cup (100 g) packed brown sugar
- ¾ tsp (3 g) kosher salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) coconut oil, melted
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) coconut extract
- 1 cup (370 g) cherry jam (see Note)
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Set your oven rack to the lowest level and preheat to 175°C (350°F). Lightly grease a 23 cm (9-inch) square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and line the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together the flour, oats, coconut, brown sugar and salt once or twice to combine. Pour over the melted coconut oil, vanilla extract and coconut extract and pulse just until combined.
- Press two thirds of the dough into the bottom of your prepared baking pan. Spread an even layer of jam onto the base layer of dough then squeeze and crumble the remaining dough overtop.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and jam is bubbling.
- Allow the bars to cool completely before lifting out of the pan and cutting into squares.
• To make this gluten free, use your favourite gluten free plain (all-purpose) flour blend and gluten free rolled oats.
• Feel free to swap out the cherry jam with your favourite flavour. Peach or apricot would be delicious with the coconut.