There are many versions of cornbread but this recipe is fairly traditional. It uses fresh, sweet corn kernels for flavour. If you like a little heat, you could throw in chopped jalapeños and cheese, too.
- 90 g corn masa flour or polenta
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 110 g caster sugar
- 150 g butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 250 ml (1 cup) buttermilk
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a standard muffin tin.
- Combine corn masa flour, self-raising flour, sugar, a pinch of salt, butter and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Stir in corn kernels and buttermilk.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin. Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve.