This elegant, restaurant-grade dish can be prepared in as little as 20 minutes.
- ½ cup dried shrimp
- 1 cup deveined shrimp, peeled and chopped
- 1 ½ cups crab meat
- 6 egg whites
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 8 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 10 cups (2.5 L) chicken stock
- 450 g rice noodles
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onions, for garnish
- 2 tbsp coriander, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for finishing
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Rehydrate dried shrimp by adding it to a pot with water and simmering for a few minutes.
- Add rehydrated dried shrimp to a food processor and blitz. Add fresh shrimp and pulse until it becomes a paste. Add paste to a bowl. Add crabmeat and stir to incorporate. Add salt and mix well. Add egg whites to bowl and combine.
- Put a wok on to heat with vegetable oil. Add shallots and cook until softened. Add tomatoes and cook until softened. Add salt and fish sauce. Pour in chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Pour in egg-crab mixture and stir until it floats.
- Cook noodles in boiling water for a few minutes until softened. Divide noodles between bowls.
- Ladle soup over top, making sure to top with some crab mixture.
- Serve garnished with chopped spring onions and coriander, and squeeze lime juice over top.