It’s rich, chocolate-y and smooth… and yet good for you in so many ways. Enjoy this mousse on its own or with berries and nuts any time of day.
- 6 fresh dates, pitted
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup or raw honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 avocados, mashed
- ¼ cup raw organic cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp liquid from the soaked dates
- 4 tsp toasted coconut flakes
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Soak dates for 10 minutes in warm water, reserve water when finished. Blend dates, maple syrup and vanilla in food processor until smooth.
Add avocado and cocoa powder, process until creamy. Add the date liquid and process briefly. Divide the mousse between 4 ramekins or tall dessert glasses.
• Store in a sealed container and mousse will keep for 3 days in a fridge, or 2 weeks in a freezer. If you are sensitive to the caffeine in cocoa, then try substituting with caffeine-free carob powder.
Recipe from Rocket Fuel on a Budget by Joanna Rushton, with photographs by Helen Coetzee. Published by Joanna Rushton.