This decadent combination of butter and cheese is balanced with a shot of ouzo to the frying pan, and a wedge of lemon.
- 1 ½ tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 1 piece kefalotyri (or haloumi) cheese
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 ½ tbsp (30 ml) ouzo
- 1 lemon wedge
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Melt butter in skillet.
- Dip cheese in a bowl of water, then dredge in flour.
- Add cheese to skillet.
- Fry both sides, 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and away from heat source.
- Pour ouzo into a shot glass and the shot glass into pan.
- Using a long-handled lighter, light alcohol in pan and let burn 1 minute.
- Extinguish by squeezing lemon juice over top. Serve hot with slices of rustic bread.