The good news is, food doesn’t have to be fake. Here’s a real frozen yoghurt, packed with goodness and nutritionally sound enough to have for breakfast, dessert or as an afternoon icy pop in the summer time.
- 300 g frozen mixed organic berries
- 1 frozen ripe banana (remember to peel before freezing)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds, crushed in a blender
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup (heaped) coconut or whole milk yoghurt, plus extra to serve if you like
- 2 tsp beetroot powder (optional)
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Pop all ingredients into a high-powered blender and blend for 5 seconds. Scrape down the sides and repeat blending and scraping another 2-3 times to get it super smooth and creamy.
For icy poles, pour mixture into ice-cream moulds and leave to set overnight.
To eat straight away, pour into glasses or bowls, top with extra yoghurt and a sprinkle of beetroot powder to garnish.
• You could add crushed nuts and seeds, bee pollen, extra berries, or whatever you fancy!
Recipe from Alexx Stuart by Alexx Stuart, with photographs by Alexx Stuart.
Read our Kitchen Farmacy interview with Alexx Stuart and view more recipes by her.