Authentic kugel is a dessert that is most commonly made using egg pasta, but it can also be savoury with a base of rice or potatoes. Dried vine fruits, fresh fruits, nuts, eggs, sugar and spices are added to sweet varieties.
- 60 g butter, melted, plus extra, to grease
- 400 g pappardelle or fettuccine
- 450 g farmer’s cottage cheese (see Note)
- 300 g (1¼ cups) sour cream
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 165 g (¾ cup) caster sugar, plus extra, to dust
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra, to dust
- 100 g sultanas
- 100 g (⅓ cup) dried apricots, sliced
- 2 (about 400 g) large granny smith apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- whipped cream, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Preheat oven to 180°C and brush a 20 cm x 30 cm ovenproof dish with butter.
Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water for 10 minutes or until al dente.
Meanwhile, place cheese, sour cream, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, fruits, vanilla and zest in a large bowl and stir until well combined.
Drain pasta and toss through remaining melted butter. Add to fruit mixture, stir to combine and pour into the prepared dish. Dust with extra sugar and cinnamon, and bake in oven for 35 minutes or until top is crisp and middle is cooked through, but still moist.
Cool kugel for 5 minutes, then slice and serve warm with whipped cream.
• Farmer’s cottage cheese is cottage cheese that has been pressed to remove all the liquid. It is available from selected supermarkets and delis.
Photography by Brett Stevens.
As seen in Feast magazine, October 2011, Issue 2. For more recipes and articles, pick up a copy of this month's Feast magazine or check out our great subscriptions offers here.