Black pepper has a warm, spicy heat. It is often referred to as the king of spices, having many benefits in addition to improving the overall flavour of many ingredients.
- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) lean rump steak, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp cracked black pepper
- canola oil spray
- 1 carrot, cut into strips
- 1 red capsicum (pepper), sliced
- 110 g (3¾ oz) snake (yard-long) beans, cut into short lengths
- 100 g (3½ oz) snow peas (mangetout), halved
- 400 g (14 oz) bok choy (pak choy), cut into quarters
- 370 g (13 oz/2 cups) cooked Doongara low-GI brown rice
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Marinating time: 15 minutes
Put the beef, garlic, lime juice and pepper in a glass bowl. Stir to combine, then set aside to marinate for 15 minutes.
Spray a large non-stick wok with canola oil and place over high heat. Stir-fry the marinated beef in two batches for 2–3 minutes or until just cooked. Transfer the beef to a plate.
Stir-fry the carrot, capsicum and snake beans in the wok for 5–6 minutes or until slightly softened. Add
the snow peas, bok choy and 2 tablespoons water, and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until the greens start to wilt.
Return the beef and juices to the wok and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until well combined and heated through.
Serve the beef and vegetables accompanied by the brown rice.
• Chicken or pork fillet can be used instead of the beef. Try adding Thai basil, lemongrass or coriander (cilantro) for extra flavour.
Nutrition (per serve)
Energy: 1500 kJ
Protein: 34 g
Carbohydrate: 35 g
- Starches: 30 g
- Sugars: 5 g
Protein:carbohydrate ratio, 0.97
Fat: 8 g
- Saturated fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated fat: 5 g
Saturated:unsaturated ratio, 0.6
Fibre: 6 g
Sodium: 180 mg
Potassium: 1050 mg
Sodium:potassium ratio, 0.17
Gluten free? Yes