Incorporate your favourite herbs into the dough mix for extra tasty base or to use this as a bread only recipe on an antipasto board.
You can use your favourite toppings and cheeses to make this gluten free bread all your own.
- 20 g fast-acting yeast
- 30 g honey
- 400 g gluten-free bread flour
- 100 g warm water
- 100 g buttermilk or yoghurt
- 100 g extra virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dried Italian herbs
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 100 g tomato paste
- 250 g tasty cheese, grated
- 150 g onion, finely diced
- 150 g sliced black olives
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Resting time: 60-90 minutes
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced).
- Combine yeast, honey and water in a bowl and set aside for up to 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, place, flour, buttermilk, olive oil eggs and salt, loosely combine and add yeast-water mixture.
- Using a pastry paddle or your hand, bring ingredients together; dough will be moist and sticky. Ensure dough is kneaded well in bowl, up to ten minutes. Cover bowl with a tea towel or glad wrap and set aside in a warm spot for up to 30 minutes.
- Remove wrap and knock down dough, bring together again and recover for an additional 30 minutes.
- In a greased pizza tray, place the dough in the centre and gently work out to all the edges with your fingertips, being careful not to tear it apart. Strive for an even height throughout the base.
- In a bowl, mix dried herbs, garlic powder and onion powder into tomato paste, then set aside for five minutes.
- Using the back of a spoon, spread tomato paste all over the base as evenly as possible.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly all over the base, evenly.
- Sprinkle onions evenly all over the base, evenly.
- Sprinkle olives evenly all over the base, evenly.
- Bake for 35-45minutes or until base is crisp and top is golden. Allow to cool for easier slicing, or eat hot and slightly gooey.