What beats a chocolate cookie? A triple chocolate cookie, of course! Get messy with the chocolate drizzle for an impressive, decadent bake.
- 600 g dark chocolate (70 per cent cocoa solids), chopped
- 30 g (¼ cup) cocoa or raw cacao
- 1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200 g (1¾ cups) plain gluten free flour (see note)
- 150 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 225 g (1¼ cups) brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- melted white and/or dark chocolate, to drizzle
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line two baking trays with baking paper or a silicone mat.
2. Place 200 g of the chopped chocolate into a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of just simmering water and stir until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
3. Sift the cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and flour together into a large bowl.
4. Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat for 3-4 minutes or until pale and fluffy. Scrape the sides of the bowl halfway through beating. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until well combined. Add the dry ingredients and cooled melted chocolate and beat until combined. Stir in the remaining chopped chocolate until well combined.
5. Roll walnut-sized pieces of dough into balls and place on the lined tray. Flatten gently with the palm of your hands. If the mixture gets too sticky, refrigerate for 10 minutes until firm again.
6. Bake for 10 minutes for crisp edges and a chewy centre or 13 minutes for a crunchy cookie. Cool on the tray, then drizzle with melted chocolate.
• This recipe was made with Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 plain gluten free flour. Different brands deliver different results.
Catch Helen Tzouganatos whipping up lush gluten-free meals alongside guests in the brand new first series of Loving Gluten Free on SBS and SBS On Demand.