Grilled haloumi, aka 'squeaky cheese', is as at home on a breakfast plate or mezze platter as it is as a meat substitute in a burger or kebab.
- 250 g haloumi, drained and sliced into rectangular slabs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Heat a grill over medium-high heat. Toss haloumi in one tablespoon olive oil.
- Place haloumi on grill and cook on both sides until golden brown. Remove from heat and put into a bowl.
- Squeeze lemon juice into bowl, add remaining tablespoon of olive oil, and add sesame seeds. Toss to coat.
- Turn out onto platter and sprinkle with chopped parsley.