Chicken poached in a flavourful stock, served with rice boiled in a similar liquid: Hainanese chicken rice is one of Singapore's most iconic dishes. This comforting recipe uses a chicken maryland and lots of chilli for spice.
- 2 litres water
- 7 spring onions stems
- 1 knob ginger
- 8 garlic cloves
- 2 chicken frames
- 1 cup (250 ml) light soy sauce
- 1 cup (250 ml) shaoxing wine
- 1 chicken maryland, bones removed
- 1 cup rice
- 4 long red chillies
- 2 birdseye chillies
- ½ lime, juiced
- pinch of sugar
- 1 bunch coriander
- 1 tbsp oil
- ¼ cup peanut oil
- cucumber slices, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Place 2 litres water in a large saucepan. Add 3 spring onion stems, 2 thick ginger slices and 3 garlic cloves.
- Rub some of the salt into chicken frames, inside and out. Add to water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 1 hour.
- Strain stock and divide evenly between two saucepans.
- Add soy sauce, shaoxing wine and ¼ cup salt to one pan of stock. Stir and bring to the boil.
- Add maryland. Simmer for 10 minutes, turn off heat off and let it cook with residual heat.
- Meanwhile, very finely chop 1 slice of ginger and 1 garlic clove.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to a hot wok (not too hot, or oil will burn). Add garlic and ginger. Stir.
- Add rice to wok and stir through. Add a pinch of salt and transfer to a rice cooker. Add 1 cup chicken stock from the second pan to rice cooker. Start rice cooker.
- Combine chillies, 4 garlic cloves, lime juice, a pinch of salt, sugar and 30 ml chicken stock in a food processor. Process until a thin consistency, then pour into side dish.
- Cut 4 thick slices of ginger, and finely chop. Finely chop 4 spring onion stems. Finely chop coriander and mix with ginger and spring onion. Transfer to a side dish and add 1 tbsp salt
- Heat peanut oil in a clean saucepan. Add to coriander sauce and mix through.
- Place a little stock and chopped spring onion in a side dish for serving.
- Remove maryland from pan. Slice and place on a plate. Add cucumber to plate. Serve chicken and sauces with rice.